This song and their associated files are part of the Study with Curt!. Personal One-on-one guidance and lessons and a premier one-one-one ukulele learning destination on the web!
Click on sample images to view pages.
Sample pages may appear faded, cropped, or partially obscured.
Downloaded copies do not include these imperfections and are the most up-to-date versions, including all edits, additions and revisions in a printer friendly format.
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
While My Guitar Gently Weeps is a song written by George Harrison of The Beatles for their double album The Beatles (also known as The White Album).
The song was ranked #135 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest songs of all time and #7 on their list of the 100 greatest guitar songs of all time.
Inspiration for the song came to Harrison when reading the I Ching, which, as he put it, "seemed to me to be based on the Eastern concept that everything is relative to everything else...opposed to the Western view that things are merely coincidental." Taking this idea of relativism to his parents’ home in northern England, Harrison committed to write a song based on the first words he saw upon opening a random book. Those words were “gently weeps”, and he immediately began the song. As he said:
"I wrote "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" at my mother's house in Warrington. I was thinking about the Chinese I Ching, the Book of Changes... The Eastern concept is that whatever happens is all meant to be, and that there's no such thing as coincidence - every little item that's going down has a purpose.
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was a simple study based on that theory. I decided to write a song based on the first thing I saw upon opening any book - as it would be a relative to that moment, at that time. I picked up a book at random, opened it, saw 'gently weeps', then laid the book down again and started the song."
- George Harrison – double-tracked vocal, backing vocal, acoustic guitar, Hammond organ
- Paul McCartney – backing vocal, piano, organ, bass
- John Lennon – electric guitar
- Ringo Starr – drums, tambourine
- Eric Clapton – lead guitar
Common Keys: Am
First Melodic Interval: P5 ↑ M2
For the slash chords, the Am/G, Am/F# and Am/F. You can just stick with the basic Am chords. The note after the slash is a descending bass line that we can not get in a ukulele with a high fourth string.
- While My Guitar(uke) Gently Weeps - Curt Sheller (me)
- Ukulele weeps by Jake Shimabukuro - Jake's well deserved world success was accelerated after this video was shot by Jason Tagg for his show Midnight Ukulele Disco in Strawberry Fields in Central Park. This video on YouTube has received over 5 million views.
- Eric Clapton - While my guitar gently weeps (HQ)(Concert for George)
- WidipediA: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- WidipediA: Jake Shimabukuro, playing a ukelele in place of the guitar portions of the song, on the album Gently Weeps.
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Chord Lead Sheet, Key of Am
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Melody and Chord Ukulele Arrangement, Key of Am
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps Performance by Curt Sheller
See the DOWNLOADS TAB above for the downloads and play-along tracks.
Song Files for: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Select downloads and premium play-along tracks are only available to active students and current site members
For more information on becoming a private or on-line student or site member visit the Student and Site Members section of the website.
Click to Play or Download
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Chord Lead Sheet, Key of Am
The George Harrison, Beatles classic. This is the songs that propelled Jake Shimabukoro to international fame.
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Melody and Chord Ukulele Arrangement, Key of Am
This is my take on the George Harrison classic. Suitable for low or high G, C tuning. Standard music notation and Ukulele TAB.
While My Guitar Gently Weeps Performance by Curt Sheller
Low G, C tuning performance using a Popno tenor ukulele.
Related Lessons for: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Lessons directly related to While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
|Related Lesson Title|
COMING SOON!! - Listings of related lessons.
Related Books for: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Books useful for working through the song: While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
|Related Book Title|
Covering the basic ukulele chords that ALL ukulele players SHOULD know. Plus, an introduction to movable chord forms, rock chords, how to transpose chords, jazz chords and more.
Ukulele Chords covers basic open position and basic movable form chords. Movable chords are covered in every key.
You only need to practice 10 minutes a day the right way to make major progress on a musical instrument or vocals.